Herbal Remedies is excited to announce that it will be a participating dispensary in the 2022 High Times Illinois Cannabis Cup: People’s Choice Edition. Licensed cultivators in the Land of Lincoln will submit the best of their products across various categories for voting by the people. Participants must be an adult 21+ or an Illinois medical cardholder (18+) to purchase judging kits. This competition allows consumers to try various products from Illinois cannabis brands, offer constructive feedback, and ultimately help award their favorites. 2022 will mark the third year of the event in Illinois.
High Times is one of the most recognized names in cannabis media, having published news, culture, and legalization content since the magazine’s inception in 1974. They’ve grown the Cannabis Cup event on a national and even global scale, with the participation of several states and even Amsterdam. Notable judges in the past have included celebrities such as Tommy Chong, Snoop Dogg, Wiz Khalifa, Joe Rogan, and the son and wife of Bob Marley (Damian and Rita, respectively).
The judging kits come in a limited edition High Times backpack, with reviewers having up to 60 days to try product samples and score them accordingly via an online portal. Only 228 judging kits in each product category are available statewide, with just a fraction of those allocated for distribution at Herbal Remedies. Illinois cannabis products are scored on several criteria, including appearance, aroma, flavor, and reported effects.
- Wednesday, July 13th: Cultivators product entry deadline
- Sunday, July 24th: Judging kits available for sale
- Best Budzz Rewards loyalty members get Saturday, July 23rd early access
- Sunday, September 4th: Judging submission deadline
- Sunday, September 18th: Winners announced
- Recreational Categories (Adults 21+)
- Indica Flower (up to 30 one-gram samples)
- Sativa Flower (up to 30 one-gram samples)
- Hybrid Flower (up to 30 one-gram samples)
- Pre-rolls (up to 30 grams)
- Concentrates (up to five grams)
- Vape Pens & Cartridges (up to five grams)
- Gummy Edibles (up to five 100mg THC samples)
- Non-gummy Edibles (up to five 100mg THC samples)
Beverage Edibles (up to five 100mg THC samples)CANCELLED!
- Medical Categories (Illinois cardholders only)
- Vape Pens
We will announce the exact amount of samples for each category and the judging kit prices at a later date.
Illinois medical cardholders cannot exceed their allotment of 70.87 grams (or 2.5 ounces) in cannabis products during any 14-day period. Out-of-state residents 21+ can purchase judging kits only if they remain within their legal cannabis possession limit of 15 grams of flower, 2.5 grams of concentrate, and 250 milligrams of THC in infused products (edibles).
Judging kits are on a first-come, first-serve basis. Preregistration doesn’t guarantee one will receive a judging kit but enrollment in communication updates only, including on-sale dates, submission deadlines, participating retail locations, etc.
Results of the 2022 Illinois Cannabis Cup will be announced by High Times via a digital award show on social media. Herbal Remedies will share the winners on their Facebook/Instagram pages and update this blog post accordingly.
All event timeline dates are tentative. All information listed above may be subject to change.